Grilled Chicken Caprese
Do you want a High Protein, Low Carb dinner? Try this Caprese Salad with a Protein Twist. I recommend using a grill, but it can easily be done inside on a stove.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 166
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 19g
Saturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 17g
Dietary Fiber 5g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (6 ounces each or 340 grams total)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, chopped (680 grams)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced (90 grams)
- 2 sprigs basil, leaves thinly chopped
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella (1 ounce or 28 grams per slice)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
- Slice the chicken breasts in half (make them thinner) and then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Whisk up the balsamic vinegar, mustard, brown sugar and olive oil. Toss half of it in the broccoli and throw it onto a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and roast for 25 minutes, shake it around the pan midway through.
- Heat a grill, grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil and then grill chicken on both sides for about 2 minutes (If pan isn’t large enough to fit all the chicken pieces, transfer grilled pieces to a sheet pan).
- Transfer chicken to the oven and cook for another 8 to 10 minutes. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add a slice of mozzarella to each chicken breast.
- When chicken is done, top cheese with a basil leaf and tomato slice. Drizzle with rest of the sauce, and enjoy with your crunchy, roasted broccoli.
- To up the protein, what I will do is, instead of splitting the chicken completely, I will "butterfly it to where it has a hinge. Grill both sides as stated, then sandwich the mozzarella, basil, and tomato inside and then finish in the oven, or on the grill. Don't forget to add 2 more Chicken Breasts to keep the servings right!
- It will boost the protein on this dish to 38-40g
Fit Food Options http://fitfoodoptions.com/